Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Family Matters

Yesterday, February 14th, was a weird day. It started out fine enough but ended a little strangly. I hadn't really planned very well for the day and hadn't got anything for Rachel or made any kind of reservations for dinner. I know I shouldn't feel guilty just because it was Valentines Day but I didn't wanna come home empty handed. We were all talking at work about what we were all doing for Valentines and somehow it came up that I hadn't yet got anything. One of our biggest customers, Butch, was there during the conversation and said "You haven't gotten anything yet!?!" He then when on to tell us that he had taken his wife to a fancy dinner on Sunday night and ended up spending over $200 for just the two of them. I knew I wasn't going to be able to compete with that but I had to get something. Luckily Danny, my co-worker, had brought in a flyer for Edible Arrangements. I remember Rachel saying she didn't like them and thought they were weird but I knew I couldn't go wrong with a box of chocolate covered strawberries. After work I went to get some flowers and a card to complete the package. I know it wasn't much but she was grateful and enjoyed her gifts. For dinner we planned to go to Claimjumper but it was an hour wait so we decided to go to Supermex instead which had no wait. So that part of the day was very nice.

The bad part of my day started a little bit before I left work. Ryan, the assistant store manager, got mad at one of our drivers for taking too long on his delivery. He started to ask him questions as to why it took him so long and why he took a route that was seemingly impractical. I was a little confused as to why he was yelling at him and then he started yelling at me about it like it was my fault like it was my intention for the driver to take his time and be inefficient. There was no issue with me about how long it took and I didn't appreciate being accused of doing something wrong. I tried not to let it bother and went about my work. Then as soon as he left my mom texted me that she needed to talk to me about something. For some reason whenever my mom says that to me I always feel like I have done something wrong. She reassured me that I wasn't in trouble and to give her a call when I had the time.

Shortly after I got home I called my mom to see what was up. There has been a lot of drama going on in my family and she just wanted to bring me up to date. Apparently, my grandma who just moved to Missouri is in the hospital. She has had back problems for a few years with a cracked vertebrae and apparently it never fully healed. I had thought she had gotten better but it's hard to tell with her because of how she acts. She either secretive about everything, plays dumb or will say "that never happened" or " i never said that". I don't know why she's gotta be so strange like that for but I still love her. My mom also told me that my uncle Mike is being evicted who is on disability and doesn't know what he's going to do. My aunt who is also in poor health and was living with Mike is in need of a place to stay as well and was going to be staying with my mom for a few days. My other uncle, Richard has been at odds with the a lot of the family too and will not be in the same room with Mike. I don't know the whole story with that though but I just hate to see my family the way it is. It seems like every few months something new is happening or someone is moving away and my family keeps shrinking and shrinking. I hope everyone can reconcile their differences and get their lives back on track and we can stick together. I hope for the best for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment