Monday, March 28, 2011

Internationl Gabe Freedom Day 2011

From time to time, I will have days off from both work and school. These have been come to be known as Internationl Gabe Freedom Days and today was just such one day although it wasn't supposed to be. I was scheduled to work 9-6 which is my usual shift on a Monday. I got up like it was a normal day showered got ready and arrived to work on time. I went to the bathroom shortly after arriving and when I came out a slight commotion had begun. Apparently Carlos, the store manager, overscheduled too many workers and had two people coming in at 9 instead of just one. Inside I was very excited but I knew that knowing my luck I'd be the one told to stay and Paulo would be sent home. He quiskly said "I don't mind leaving I have things I need to do anyways". but who doesn't have things to do? The same situation had occured several weeks ago whe Paulo and I were scheduled for the same shift. He was sent home early then so I figured he'd surely get the lucky break again. But the gods were smiling on me today and I got elected to go home. I ran to get my homework and lunch bag and went to my car. Then the question came to my head "Now what I do with my day?"

The first thing I did was text my friend anthony. I been wanting to see him recently because I just don't have much time anymore with work and school taking up the bulk of my time. Unfortunately he didn't respond till later that night. We had been talking about recording some stuff together I figured today would have been a good day to do that. I texted a few other people but either my phone was not working or I pissed a lot of people off because I wasn't get any responses. I decided the first thing to do was get some breakfast. I went to Fantastic Cafe and got a choriz breakfast burrito which was delicious and came home.

The misses finally texted me back and said I should go to Walmart. We had gone shopping the night before and paid for several items that didn't make it home. I didn't have anything else to do so I went. I got inside and went over to the customer service area. There were a couple of people in line that seems to in line for the Western Union so I made my own line on the other side of the rope which turned out to be a big mistake. "There's only one line!!!" the worker yelled at me. SORRY.... I thought and walked to the line. The transaction went fine and went and got my products. I also need a new water jug because my other one fell out of the fridge and cracked on the floor earlier that day before leaving for work. I found an exact replica and went back home.

Still unsatisfied with my day I had epiphany when I went into the bathroom to put away the shampoo and shaving cream from the store. For a while I had been wanting to add some shelf space inside the medicine cabinet. The pegs that hold up the boards were still intact but the shelves themselves had been missing since we moved in. I decided I was gonna go to Home Depot and get some new shelves. So I jumped back into my car and headed out again.

At the Home Depot, I quickly found the wood pieces I needed. I was gonna need them cut so I went to find a worker. That was actually a lot harder than it sounds. I went up and down a few aisles and didn't see anyone. I then went up one aisle and saw a self-serve table with saws and tape measure but there was a guys cutting and measuring some side molding. The pieces I needed werent that huge so I figure I could just so it myself after the guy was done using the station. When he was finished I approached the bench and began to saw the piece. It was much more difficult than I had anticipated. I could not get the piece to lay flat and the saw was not working well for me. I decided to give that up and resume my search for a worker. Finally, a man in an orange apron walked toward. I asked him if I could get some wood cut to which he responded "Yea! Eventually...." Another rude worker in customer service?!?! Impossible. I brushed it off and he helped me cut my wood. When I got home the pieces fit perfectly and I organized my section of the medicine cabinet and was pleased with the results.


After my handyman phase I had ran out of weird impulsive things to do. I played my guitar for a bit, did some chores and then watched the Hurt Locker on Netflix which I really enjoyed. Before I knew it was already 6 and I started making dinner and Rachel came home. It wasn't the most exciting day but it was nice to get a day off from work and school and just relax and have fun.

I also wanted to share this amazing picture I found online. I think it's pretty self explanatory but I couldn't resist posting it. It just about the coolest thing I think I've ever seen. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment