Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Top 10 Albums

I’m kind of a dork when it comes to my music and am constantly on iTunes rearranging and re-categorizing my songs. I like to make playlists with funny names like “Slappin’ Da Bass” which feature songs with a lot of bass inspired by the movie I Love You, Man or modeled after actual radio stations. My current project involves removing all the crappy songs I have on my IPod or songs off albums I have but don’t like or care about. Sometimes I’ll download a greatest hits CD even though the artist has only 1 good song. I figure one day I will give the album a chance or if I’m bored or something I’ll give it a listen. I’m kind of a hoarder with music because typically I’ll never listen to it. Even today I was going through it and decided it was time to finally delete Red Hot Chili Peppers off my IPod because I really have an irrational disdain for them. Then as I was going through the tracks and I was like this one is ok….that one I used to like….this one is cool…and before you know it I decide not to delete any of them. I have this crazy idea that if by chance someone were to get a hold of my IPod they would be impressed that I had such a variety of music and if they wanted to listen to it they would be satisfied with the array of choices. (These are actually thoughts that I have had.)

So what’s the point of all this you ask? Well like I mentioned I like to categorize and organize my music and make lists. So with that being said I have decided to let the world know what my top 10 favorite albums of all time are and why? So without further adieu here it is:

#10 – Genesis – Duke













As long as I can remember I have always been a huge Phil Collins fan. I don't really know where the obsession started from I remember listening to this album religiously before my little league baseball games. I guess it pumped me up even though the album is rather mellow and what I consider one of the original "emo" genre albums but that's just my opinion and I just got hooked on the genre of heartache and breakup.

#9 – Copeland – Beneath Medicine Tree













Continuing on the journey is this gem that almost went unnoticed by me. My good friend Shaun and I were driving at night -  probably on one of our many roadtrips - and he put on this cd. Its very melodic and beautiful and I fell in love it with almost immediately.

#8 – Taking Back Sunday – Tell All Your Friends













Another album introduced to me by Shaun was this one. At first, I didn't know what to think about it because it was good but it didn't seem that special. But after persistent listening of this album over and over again in the car I soon became hooked. It was kind of like in the movie Easy A where she gets the musical birthday card from her grandma and shes like eww! I hate this song. Then by the end of the weekend shes singing outloud and makes it her ringtone. Now it reminds of the days of when we were in a band and we thought we would rule the world. Just reminds me of the good times.

#7 – Fall Out Boy – Take This To You Grave













Before they were on the radio and Pete Wentz was all over TMZ there was this album. Say what you may about this band but I really love their first album. Even till this day I can still listen to this record and enjoy the good pop-punk music this album delivers. I remember seeing them at Chain Reaction in Anaheim before they blew up. It was one of the funnest shows I ever went to.

#6 – Static Lullaby - …And Don’t Forget to Breathe













This album is the only one that may seem out of place. This is more of a hardcore/screamo album but I was hooked since the first listen. I used to have to have music on when I showered  and one time I popped in this CD that I downloaded trying to discover new music. Immediately I was blown away. I don't really know what it was about it I just thought it was gnarly and I couldnt get enough of it. It also has an awesome song "Annunciate While You Masticate" that I play when I am mad and helps me to vent my rage so I can be normal, relaxed Gabe.

#5 – 2pac – All Eyez on Me













I couldn't make a top 10 list without mentioning 2pac. Undoubtedly the best rapper of all time (don't say Jay-Z or Biggie!!) It's hard to choose one album by this lyrical genius but if I had to choose one this would be it hands down! I never tire from hearing music from this guy. Its just so classic. I can relate to the "thuglife" so well...

#4 – The Get Up Kids – Something To Write Home About













This is another emo gem. This cd was influential that I played one of the songs for Shaun when I tried out for the band. I was in my room and played it through the phone and he could tell right away what I was playing. Also the line "Don't Worry I'll Catch You" the title I used on my yahoo profile caught the eye of my not then wife came from a song on this awesome album.


#3 – Say Anything - …is a Real Boy













This is more recent edition but has easily become one of my favorite CDs of all time. On first listen I thought the singer was a bit strange with his sarcastic and subtle singing style. I soon however feel in love with this album too. Everyone I have told about this band has too become fans including my wife and have gone to several shows. Their newest self-titled album is pretty amazing too but this one is classic.

#2 – Saves the Day – Stay What You Are












Another great album that goes hand in hand with Say Anything. The bands have toured together and even made a side project featuring members of both bands called Two Tongues. Now diehard fans will probably say that "Through Being Cool" is their best album but I disagree. That is a good album but I can't get enough of this one. Their follow up albums "In Reverie" is also amazing as well as "Under the Boards". It was hard to choose just one. I am really a huge fan of this band but this one just has so many memories for me. I listened to this album religiously when I used to work at Catalina Express a million years ago and just brings back memories of days gone by.

And my #1 is (this is my list so I don’t care if you agree):
Blink 182 – Enema of the State















Now I love everything Blink-182 and Tom Delonge in particular so my real top 10 would contain nothng but Blink-182 albumss but this is the album that started that obsession for me. I listened to this album every morning on my CD walkman when I would ride my bike to high school. It's also just a great summer album to listen to and reminds me of the innocence of my youth hahaha.

So there you have it . Even after putting that together I still feel like it could use a few tweeks. Like Rubber Soul by the Beatles but that band is so universal that almost everyone likes them so that seemed like a wasted space.

Coming soon top 10 movies!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment