Thursday, May 19, 2011

School's Out For Summer (Not an Alice Cooper fan though)

I can’t believe another semester of school has come and gone. This semester has definitely been the most trying one so far. I felt a little overwhelmed at times with having to juggle both work and school and wished I had more time to just relax and just not have anything to do. For a while, I was concerned about my grade in math which at times it felt like I was just not grasping the material. (I really hate graphing and functions.) When I was in class it would all make sense but then when it came time to doing it on my own I would be at a loss. Not so much because I didn’t understand but because I just had a lack of interest in the material and don’t even get me started with the math lab. I know it’s there to help but it feels like more of an inconvenience with time I could be using for something more constructive besides using it as a place to do math homework (sorry Fullerton College). However, I feel I did well on the final. It seemed to all click and I was like “I know this stuff!” there was only like 3 or 4 problems on graphing. (Thank God). In other classes, (mainly my Admin of Justice classes) I feel are just regurgitating the same information semester after semester just under different class titles. I feel like I have been losing interest in it and have been seriously thinking about changing my major. It seems at times like I’ve learned all there is to be taught in the subject yet still more classes are needed to fulfill the requirements for a degree. I have been debating about maybe trying to pursue a more scientific aspect of criminal justice such as forensic science. The only problem I see is that more math classes would be required. I have a love/hate relationship with math. Sometimes I love it and its fun like factoring and logarithms - like solving a puzzle. Then other times it feels like why the hell do I need to know how to graph parabolas and hyperboles? Can’t I just write an essay instead? I definitely like reading and writing more than arithmetic. To add more struggles to my academic woes is the fact that I was not able to register for 2 classes I was hoping to take during the summer session. I tried to register and waitlists for both classes were filled. I don’t know how an online class gets full I guess too many students equals too many exams too grade? I guess it’s kind of a good thing though. I can spend the summer on focusing on trying to seriously find a job more closely related to major. I have to commute to work and I am getting tired of working there. It’s been 5 years too long for a thankless dead end job. I think I’m finally ready to let go and jump into the career field I actually want to be in.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the job search! It was a pleasure having you in class this semester!

    ReplyDelete