Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Top 10 Movies

Like I promised and like I know all the followers of this blog have impatiently been anticipating I am continuing my Top 10 themed posts with my top 10 14 favorite movies of all time. This list was much harder to compile that my top 10 albums list. I am sucker for comedies and those dominate my list but there are a few dramas that are near the top. It was hard to pick single movies so I divided a lot of them into genres/groups. So don't judge me if the list contains more than 10 movies (14 in total).


#11 - The Lion King 













This is hands down my favorite Disney movie. My favorite animated movie too. A lot of people say it’s just a rip off of Bambi but I don’t care it’s still good (besides the fact that that is kinda true). The animation is so good and is one of the first animated movies to integrate computer animation into the movie. The plot and story however are what make this movie so good. I remember in high school my Animation teacher would tell us that it didn’t matter how great the animation or artwork was it was all about the story and she was right.

#10 – Stoner Movies



The list starts off with a 3 way tie for 10th place. All 3 of these movies I saw with my good friend Anthony in the theatres. They have become classics to me and all have a similar premise about stoner friends trying to find something (i.e. their car or the nearest White Castle). I can pop these in anytime and still enjoy them like it’s the first time seeing it.


#9 – Chevy Chase Movies


#9 also features a tie. Chevy Chase was awesome in the 80’s and these are also two of my favorite movies that just so happen to feature him. I like pretty much all the Vacation movies but the original is still the best. I can’t really remember a time in my life before either of these movies were a part of it. My mom was a big influence on me with these movies too because she loves them too and they always remind of good times.


 # 8 - Friday


This could have fit in with Stoner movies but to me it seems this movie is more substantial and has more of a plot even though it’s basically about 2 guys just hanging out on the porch smoking weed but whatever. I guess I like the fact that it doesn’t seem like you’re watching a movie. It feels like your just watching two friends hanging out and it doesn’t seem like they’re acting. It’s like watching a documentary of reality… not really but I do like this movie. The sequels are awful though… especially the 3rd one...

#7 - Duel












This movie is supposed to be a suspense thriller, but with the cheesy acting of lead actor Dennis Weaver it comes across as almost comical. This is actually Steven Spielberg’s directorial debut but you wouldn’t know it if you saw it. This movie reminds me of being a kid and how my mom would always make fun of how cheesy this movie is and I love that we both could laugh at it together. There’s another movie with him as a coke addict that I saw a long time ago that is supposed to be serious but comes across comical too. I want to see it again but I haven’t been able to find it yet because it was made for TV movie.   

#6 - Ace Ventura












I almost forgot about this movie and how funny it was until I saw on TV this past weekend. I used to watch it every weekend and memorized like every line. It was a big hit in our family. I remember that my uncle even made a video parody of the opening scene where he's pretending to be a UPS man. I wonder what ever happened to that video.

#5 - Boyz N The Hood












I think this is the only movie in my top 10 list that I do not own. I should be ashamed. I really like this movie a lot and every time I see it I’m always hoping Ricky doesn’t get shot and killed but he always ends up dying!! L It never gets any easier and I always tear up a little.

#4 - Man on Fire













This movie is so good! It has everything drama, action, love, and suspense. Denzel Washington rules in this movie about revenge and justice who plays a bodyguard for a little girl who gets kidnapped. I originally never had any special interest in seeing this movie when it came out but all my friends told about how good it was and so I finally saw it and I was blown away. All I can say is that it’s so good!!! Creasy Bear and Pita!!!

#3 - Forrest Gump













This is another one of those movies that I could just watch anytime and still be entertained. It has a great soundtrack and so many memorable quotes and scenes. I saw this in the movie theater with my mom and I liked it even then when I was like 12 or 13 probably. I don’t know what else to say about it because everyone I know has seen it so if you haven’t then I guess you hate America or maybe just freedom.

#2 - Fargo













Coen Brothers movies are pretty fantastic. I just recently saw The Big Lebowski for the first time and I didn’t even know that it was one of their movies until I saw it. Fargo is great though. I love the dark comedy, crazy plot, William H. Macy and Francis McDormett in this movie. Steve Buscemi is always a delight too. Oh yah?

and #1 is.....













I love Quentin Tarantino movie like Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown but this is easily my favorite. I love how the movies always start with the ending and then backtrack from the beginning to show how it got to that point. I also like the funny dialogue that is always inserted too. Like in Reservoir Dogs you’re like what the hell are they talking about at first then you find out their discussing which Madonna album they like. I wish he’d make more movies though. I did hear they’re making a Kill Bill 3 which would be weird because Bill got killed in part 2 so I don’t know how the plot would continue…


So there you have it. I wasn't going to add "The Lion King" but I would have been lying if I said that it wasn't one of my all time favorites so I had to add it in at number 11 or you could just say this is my top 14. This post has inspired me to do one final list. Top 10 TV shows! I enjoy making lists and being weird so you're just gonna have to put up with it. Until next time.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment