Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dumb Signs



Today I saw an interesting banner hanging nearby where I work. The banner appeared to be a public service announcement about "break-ins”. Perhaps burglaries are on the rise in the area? All that was on the banner was the phrase "Lock It or Lose It" in large letters. Underneath that it said, "A message brought to you by the LAPD". It reminds me of the slogan for the seatbelt law "Click It or Ticket". I really hate those stupid signs. I understand that it's important to wear a seatbelt and be safe but I think the way they go about shoving it down our throats is obnoxious. However, I don't think it should be a requirement to wear a seatbelt. Especially if I’m just gonna drive down the street to get some Taco Bell or something. It's not really a big deal to have to wear one. The only time I don’t wear it is usually because I just forgot to put on not on purpose, but I should still have the option to not wear one if I want to. Same goes with using cell phones and texting in the car. I am constantly tinkering on my phone all the time even in my car. I’m not saying it’s necessarily something we should do but if you can do it safely why should it matter? Again, I understand how it can be good and protect us from distractions and make us more aware as drivers but I don't think the behavior inside my car should or needs to be regulated. Next they're gonna outlaw IPods and changing radio stations while driving. Where will it end?

Anyways, with this new sign "Lock It or Lose It" It seems that they’re pointing the finger solely at the owner of the vehicle or house or whatever. The criminal is helpless to stop his urges and it suggests, to me anyways, that by the simple act of not locking the doors you somehow are at fault for having your property burglarized. “You had to know!!” as my friends used to say. Simply locking a door is not gonna stop a criminal from doing criminal acts. I have had several cars that were broken into numerous times and had my doors locked only to find a window shattered and my CDs stolen and stereo missing. While it is my fault for leaving my stuff in the car the fact that the doors being locked to didn’t stop them. Locking the door is obviously common sense and a good way to detour criminal activity but I know from first-hand experience that a locked door isn't going to stop most criminals. The sign should be more geared to saying make sure your valuables are not left in the car or in plain view. That would make more sense and probably lower the numbers of break-ins.

One other thing I wanna point out has to do with the freeway signs that say things like “click it or ticket”. I find it very useful when it displays the estimated times to the next major interchanges. That is so helpful! However I cannot stand when the signs display crap like “Share the Road Check Twice for Motorcycles”. No!!! I’m not the one driving like an asshole speeding, swerving, switching lanes, cutting people off, splitting lanes and driving like an idiot. I really hate that I have to be the one to look out for the bonehead motorcyclists. Maybe the reckless and dangerous driving behavior I witness on almost a daily basis and the protection of only a helmet and jacket is the cause to so many deaths.

Anyways I digress. I just think some street signs are funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment